Danushka Gunathilaka was charged with sexual assault in Sydney while at the T20 World Cup in Australia.
The Sri Lankan batter has been charged with sexual assault, and he had been in sexual intercourse with a 29 years old woman forcefully. The New South Wales Police has confirmed that Gunathilaka met the woman after talking on a dating app for a couple of days. On Sunday, November 6, the player was arrested from the team hotel, and he will appear in court on Monday, November 7. The Sri Lankan cricket board has confirmed that Gunathilaka will be suspended from all forms of cricket.
The Sri Lankan batter was already ruled out from the T20 World Cup with a hamstring injury, but he remained with the squad. The NSW police said, “On Saturday, 5 November 2022, detectives from the State Crime Command’s Sex Crimes Squad and Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command commenced a joint investigation under Strike Force Veteran following reports a 20-year-old woman had been sexually assaulted at a residence in Rose Bay earlier this week. The woman met with the man after communicating with him for a number of days via an online dating application; it’s alleged he then sexually assaulted her on the evening of Wednesday, 2 November 2022.”
The Board said, “The Executive Committee of Sri Lanka Cricket decided to suspend national player Danushka Gunathilaka from all forms of cricket with immediate effect and will not consider him for any selections after being informed that Mr. Gunathilaka was arrested and charged with sexual assault of a woman in Australia. Furthermore, Sri Lanka Cricket will take the necessary steps to promptly carry out an inquiry into the alleged offense, and upon conclusion of the aforementioned court case in Australia, steps will be taken to penalize the said player if found guilty.”
Later the Sri Lankan National team said that SLC would monitor the situation and consult with the ICC. And if Gunathilaka is found guilty, then the board will take proper action.