After watching a game for the first time, many people have the urge to learn how to pole vault. Although it is a difficult sport, it is not impossible to learn. If you do not have much idea about the sport, let me tell you a bit about it. It is basically a track and field event which is extremely popular all around the world.
The sport is also known as pole jumping. Here, athletes have to jump over a bar with the support of a long, flexible pole. The pole is generally manufactured of carbon fiber or fiberglass material.
It is pretty evident that to execute such a process, the athletes would require quite a high level of physical fitness. Not only that, but they also must have a proper understanding of basic physics to enhance their performance.
A Step By Step Guide Of Learning How To Pole Vault
As a beginner to this sport, you must first learn and understand the basics of how to pole vault. Once you are able to grab these well, you can move ahead to improve your game.
However, to be an expert in this game, you need to practice hardcore. The guide has been constructed in a way considering a right-handed athlete. The same would, however, be applicable for left-handed ones too.
1. The Grip
- Hands should be irregularly placed on the pole with shoulders kept wide apart.
- The right-hand palm should be facing upwards, while the left-hand palm should be facing downwards.
- The top of the left foot should be kept directly below the right hand.
- The shoulders should remain in a square position with the pole kept up till it comes in contact with the left hand.
- Palms should be inclined inwards during the entire process.
2. Carrying The Pole
- The left hand should be brought lower to the chest level, while the right hand should be kept at the hip level.
- The tip of the pole should be faced upwards but not in a vertical position.
- Gradually, the tip of the pole should be lowered while the right hand is moved upwards, pivoting towards the left.
- It is important to note that before planting the pole, it should be held, maintaining its position at eye level.
3. The Sprint
- The body posture during the running phase should be straight and upright.
- The main point of focus should be the ground contact. It should be made directly under the body very quickly.
- Beginners could start the run by taking 3-5 steps. However, 7-9 steps are required for a full approach sprint.
- The balance of the pole should be properly managed during the sprint.
4. Planting The Vault
- Before planting the vault, the pace must be kept slow, and the strides have to be lengthened.
- A few steps must be walked with a feel for the left foot while carrying the pole at a higher point.
- Gradually, lower the pole while considering using the left foot for the purpose of planting.
- The pole must be uplifted and pushed forward as soon as the left foot touches the ground.
- Next, the bottom arm must be pushed forward while maintaining the level of the pole as close to the body as possible.
- When the last take-off foot touches the ground, the pole must be extended completely, and the arm must be placed above the head level.
- Finally, plant the pole in the box and ensure that the order of the foot remains left-right-left.
5. Take-Off & Drive Swing
- The pole tip must be planted effectively on the box before the take-off.
- Maximum pressure must be applied on the pole at this moment.
- A reverse C position must be achieved while swinging onto the level of the shoulders.
- For drive swinging, the pole must be extended and driven to a vertical level.
- The bottom arm elbow must be placed properly, and one must stay on the shoulder level there.
- It must be ensured that the landing is made slowly and safely on the pit.
6. The Swing-Up
- The take-off leg must be pushed from the reverse C position.
- A whip must be made to swing in the reverse direction.
- The power of the swing will depend upon the sprint approach and the take-off.
- The body should not be pulled upwards during this process.
- While the short-drill, the left arm must collapse and be kept at the chest level.
- One must reach the top of the pole to complete this process.
- The planting of the pole will determine your power during the unbending process.
- While turning over the pole, an athlete must exert maximum force with the help of his hands.
- While the legs begin to pike around the bar, one must push themselves back from the top of the pole.
- Initially, the bottom hand needs to be removed from the pole at this position.
- The hips need to be passed over the bar without bumping it.
- Pointing the thumb down will create a hollow chest.
- The top hand is required for a final push-off to release the pole.
There you have all the information you needed to know about the sport. As a beginner, learning how to pole vault is not easy. However, it isn’t something that is unachievable. But to successfully take part in such a sport you must exhibit good fitness and proper application of your mind.
Apart from these, what you will require to be an expert in this sport is an immense level of practice. If you are still really interested, I am sure this article will help develop your basics of the game.