What is the world biggest cricket stadium? – If you are a cricket fan, you already know the answer. It is the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, in the state of Gujarat in India. The stadium was previously known as Motera Stadium. After it was renovated and expanded, the stadium now has a seating capacity of 132,000. The stadium is owned by the Gujarat Cricket Association and conducts major cricket matches. The 2023 IPL Final was also held here.
In this article, you will learn the general details about the biggest cricket stadium in world. Apart from that, you will also learn various interesting facts about the biggest cricket stadium in the world. In addition to that, you will also come across a list of the top 10 biggest cricket stadium in the world, along with the details of their sitting capacity. Hence, to learn why the Narendra Modi Stadium is a must-visit destination for sports fans, read on through to the end of the article.
What Is The Biggest Cricket Stadium In The World?
Cricket is one of the most popular sport in the world, and cricket stadiums in themselves are great to watch. Until 2020, the biggest cricket stadium in the world was the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne, Australia, and the biggest cricket stadium in India was the Eden Gardens in Kolkata. However, things changed after 24th February 2020, as the Narendra Modi Stadium was opened.
The stadium was earlier built in 1983 and was renovated in the year 2006. The stadium was a regular venue for international and domestic first-class matches played in India. However, the stadium authorities wanted to expand the stadium to accommodate more people and also modernize the stadium. Hence, in 2015, the stadium was closed and demolished. It was rebuilt and expanded with an estimated budget of approx. US $100 million.
The stadium became instantly popular among cricketing fans as well as non-cricketing fans. One of the earliest ceremonies that the stadium held was “Namaste, Trump,” which was to welcome the ex-US President Donald Trump to India. Afterward, some of the most important cricket matches were held inside the stadium. The stadium also welcomed some of the most popular cricketers in the world.
A Few Interesting Facts About The World Biggest Cricket Stadium
The following are some of the most interesting facts that you must know about the biggest cricket stadium in the world, that is the Narendra Modi Stadium:
1. Biggest Stadium In Terms Of Seating Capacity
The stadium has a seating capacity of 130,000, which makes it easily the largest cricket stadium in the world. Earlier, the place was held by Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia.
2. A Stadium With An Amazing Cricketing History
The stadium has a lot of history. This is the place where –
- Sunil Gavaskar scored his 10000th run in Tests in 1987.
- Kapil Dev Took his 432nd Test Wicket in 1994.
- AB de Villiers scored a Double Hundred against India in 2008.
- India reached the Quarter-finals of the 2011 ICC World Cup after defeating Australia.
- Sachin Tendulkar became the first batsman to score 30,000 international runs.
3. The Newest Makeover Costed Almost $100 Million
The rebuilding and renovation of the stadium costed more than $100 million, which is close to IN ₹800 crore, which is a huge sum of money.
4. The Stadium Is Spread Across 63 Acres Of Land
Due to the stadium being huge in size, with lots of parking spaces, and other amenities, it is located among 63 acres of land.
5. There Are 76 Corporate Boxes Inside The Stadium
Once you visit the stadium for important matches, do not be surprised at the presence of top celebrities, politicians, and businessmen. Each corporate box can hold 25 people at a time.
6. There Parking Space Is Huge
The parking space is huge and has space to park 3000 cars and 10,000 motorcycles.
7. A Lot Of Practice Pitches
Inside the stadium compound, there are two separate practice grounds containing nine pitches and several net areas for players to practice on.
8. Facilities To Play Other Sports As Well
The stadium is under Gujarat Cricket Association and hence contains a full-fledged academy. There are also other playing areas like indoor pitches and areas to play other sports like soccer, hockey, basketball, and many more.
9. There Is Food Court In Every Stand
To make things easier for cricket fans in the stadium, there is an attached food court on every stand. Furthermore, the stadium also has a clubhouse inside with top-grade facilities for workouts.
10. The First Stadium With LED Lights
This stadium is the first in India to install LED lights instead of the traditional floodlights. This makes the view of the stadium better.
Top 10 Cricket Stadiums In The World – Capacity Wise
The following are the biggest cricket stadiums in the world in terms of seating capacity and size:
1. Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad, India – 130,000 seats
2. Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, Australia – 100,024 seats
3. Eden Gardens, Kolkata, India – 66,349 seats
4. Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Cricket Stadium, Raipur, India – 65,000 seats
5. Optus Stadium, Perth, Australia – 60,000 seats
6. Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad, India – 55,000 seats
7. Greenfield International Stadium, Thiruvananthapuram, India – 55,000 seats
8. Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Kochi, India – 55,000 seats
9. DY Patil Sports Stadium, Navi Mumbai, India – 55,000 seats
10. Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, Australia – 53,583 seats
Hope this article was helpful for you in knowing about the world biggest cricket stadium. As you can see, after its unveiling, the Narendra Modi Stadium has become one of the favorite places to visit for cricket fans. The sheer size of the stadium in itself is a great thing to watch. Furthermore, during important cricket matches, the vibe and the environment inside the stadium are amazing to experience. Hence, whether you are a big cricket fan or not, it is highly recommended to at least visit the stadium once you are in India. Do you know any more interesting facts about the Narendra Modi Stadium? Share with us some info in the comments section below.