Football might be the game of the world, but cricket is no less in terms of emotions. Yes, only 12 full members are associated with this particular sport among 104 total counties.
However, football is the most popular sport in the world, with over 200 countries playing it officially. So, there is a big difference if you are finding the most popular sports. Still, suppose you have a crush on cricket.
In that case, you will find huge popularity and emotion over it in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and other countries like Australia, England, and Sri Lanka as well.
The T20 World Cup has just ended, and 12 countries participated in the ICC (International Cricket Council) event.
So, you can understand the limitation, but you might also feel the thrill of playing or watching cricket unless you are not naive at this sport.
Well, if you want to enjoy the game, you will need to be aware of the cricket rules of this game in particular.
Cricket is all about emotion; the more you dig into this game, the more thrill you will experience. But, like football, cricket is also uncertain, and anyone can win in a nail-biting match.
The History Of Cricket
Playing cricket has some basic rules, and cricket rules are there to encourage the sport to the international level. Without the rules and regulations, you cannot manage professionalism anywhere, and thus you might get the authenticity and necessity of cricket rules.
The first reference to cricket was found in 1611 as an adult’s game. However, at that time, it was discovered as a boy’s game. After that, it started to form its nature as an English village game. According to the sources, in 1709, the first game of cricket was played with the country’s name for two teams.
In the middle of the 18th Century, Cricket became the leading sport in England. And with several transitions, the game was no longer a boy’s game, but in 1745 Women’s Cricket started.
It’s interesting to know that the first law of cricket was formed and amended in 1774. From that time, the innovation regarding stumps, bat width, and lbw started to form.
However, do you know who maintains the laws of cricket?
It’s the very first and very famous Marylebone Cricket Club which was founded in 1787. Since then, any kind of cricket rules has been formed and changed and maintained by MCC.
How To Play Cricket?
There are three variations of the game available in cricket, and among all, Test cricket is the oldest and also the classy form of cricket. Any cricketer is judged by their performance in Test cricket to date.
Though there is hype to play T20 cricket these days, crickets and all the traditional fans have a separate respect for text cricket.
On the other hand, people have less time for entertainment in this busy world, and thus T20 and one-day cricket is becoming more popular and getting more cheers as well.
The Three-Format Game
In Test cricket, two teams (11 members in each) will play for a total of 5 days. It’s a long-duration game, and thus, the real class of the batter and bowler are judged through this game. The potential of a batter to stay on the crease as much as they can is judged through this format of the game, which is also known as the red ball cricket.
In a One-day format, the ball colour goes white as it can be played at night. It is a 50-over match which signifies each team scores the most runs and wins the match. Well, there are some cricket fielding cricket rules in limited-over cricket.
- Only two fielders are allowed outside the 30-yard circle in the first ten overs of the game.
- Between 11 to 40 overs maximum of four fielders are allowed outside the inner circle.
In a T20 format, you have only 20 overs to get the maximum runs for your team, and if the other team overtakes the run within 20 overs with a maximum of 10 wickets, then you lose the game. There are also cricket fielding rules available.
- You will only be able to place two fielders outside the inner circle in the first six overs of the game.
- After the sixth over, you can place a maximum of five fielders outside the inner circle.
But the exception can happen if the caption loosens with time. For example, for a slow over rate with a particular time limit, as a penalty, a team might have to keep one more field in the inner circle.
The Basic Rules Of Cricket
There are some basic cricket rules you may want to confirm with your existing knowledge of cricket. If you do not have knowledge about basic cricketing rules, then you will not be able to understand the gamer and its related excitements.
Let’s find out the key rules to enjoy the game with basic knowledge.
- Cricket is played between two teams, with each team having 11 members. In test cricket, you will usually find a maximum of four innings, whereas, in limited-over cricket, each team will get the chance to play one inning each.
- Tossing with a coin decides who is going to bat or bowl first. The winning captain in a toss may have the power to decide whether the team is going to bat first or second.
- The basic object of cricket is to score the most runs and win the match. For instance, if your team scores 100, then the target for the opponent team will be 101, and if they manage to get 100 as well, then the match will be subject to a draw.
- In a t20 format, a bowler can bowl a maximum of four overs. On the other hand, in a 50-overs game, a bowler can bowl a maximum of 10 overs. At the same time, test cricket does not have any limitations for bowling overs.
- In a 22 yards pitch, the three stumps (each) will be placed on both ends. One end is for the bowlers to bowl, and another end is not for the batter to confront the ball.
- Each over consists of 6 legitimate balls. Apart from that, there are wides and nos and also dead balls. If a bowler crosses the dedicated line of throwing the ball to the batter, then it is counted as no ball. Besides, if a bowler consumes more than one bounce in an oven, that is also considered a no-ball by the Umpire.
Runs To Get
Well, only bowlers are not going to boom in this sport, but also the batter has to score with particular runs and win for their team.
The highest run a batter can get with the bat is 6 when he hits the ball out of the boundary without any bounce in the playground.
If you hit the ball through the ground and manage to place the ball to the boundary, then you can manage to get four runs. Apart from that, 1, 2, and 3 runs, you have to take by running on the pitch.
In addition, you can also get runs with overthrows committed by the fielder. No balls and dead balls add one extra run to the scoreboard.
Interesting Rules Of Cricket
Cricket rules suggest almost 42 instances to consider in the game. All are known the basic rules.
However, we have decided this time to excite you with some mind-blowing and controversial rules of cricket that actually exist.
What Is The 3-Minute Rule?
This is not a new rule, but the time is not known to all. After a batsman gets out, in normal cases, the next batter has to face the next ball within 3 minutes.
Isn’t that weird?
Not always, but in some cases, a batter may need more time to proceed with. But this is the rule, and you will see players sit at the bench being ready even before the on-crease player is playing on the ground.
What Is The Mankad Rule?
If you are a cricket lover, you must have seen this happen in cricket at the hands of a famous Indian spinner Ravichandran Aswin. He did it in this era of cricket to remind us of another Indian player Vinu Mankad who first helped to bring in these cricket rules in the history of cricket.
In this rule, a bowler can run out a batter at the non-striker end if the batter goes out of the crease before the bowler throws the ball from his hand. This is known as the ‘Mankad rule,’ and not even all players know this particular rule.
What Is The Concussion Substitute Rule?
Think about your own team in cricket. If one of your teammates suffers a concussion, will it not be a disadvantage in the ongoing match for your team?
This rule can mitigate the disadvantage of one man short in the middle of a match. If the healthcare professional decides that it’s not safe for the batter to bat anymore, a new substitute player can be added from the dugout.